Monday, May 12, 2008

Thanks, But No

Last night I returned home after my usual weekend spent at R's. After being there for a few minutes I noticed a Bath & Body Works bag on my table with a card on top. Thinking it might be from my dad's girlfriend...I thought I would get a few little things done first before I opened it.
About 2 and a half months ago, we had a little falling out, and we haven't spoken since, or even have been in the same room.

So, I took a deep breath, sat on my couch and opened up the card. I quickly glanced at the bottom, saw it was from her, and then began to read it:

The front of the card has a dog smiling and taking a shit on a lawn. Yeah. Inside it says, "Better to be happy than crappy!" Okay. Whatever, moving along.

"I certainly do not want to have a crappy relationship with you. I am sorry for being so crappy...sometimes I'm way too abrasive. You're a great girl and I truly do like you a lot. Never hesitate to ask if you need anything.
Also, I just wanted to give you a little gift. I'm very proud of your accomplishment and I just started reading your book. There's no way I could wait until May 30th to get a copy. I was intrigued by the part about EVP's and phone calls from the dead since I received a phantom phone call once. No matter how skeptical Mr. Know It All is (your father), this stuff truly happens...good job!"

Immediately, I wasn't sure how I felt about it. Granted, I am glad that she has said something, I mean -- really, it's been quite a while. But, I'm having a really difficult time believing her sincerity. I think it's half and half. I think she wanted to do something so her relationship with my dad wouldn't deteriorate, AND I also think that since the book signing is coming up and she is going to come, she doesn't want to deal with my mother, who is unhappy with her. I wish you all knew how my dad's girlfriend is. She's only about 6 years older than me. I have friends that are older than her.

Last week, I couldn't help but chuckle when my dad told me he got in trouble for forgetting her birthday. He tried to blame it on me for not reminding him, but that definitely didn't fly. I told him it's in no way my responsibility to remember his girlfriend's birthday, especially knowing how I feel about her.

But, after receiving the little gesture yesterday, I went and got her a belated birthday card. I am basically just going to thank her in it.
I talked to my mom this morning about it, and she feels the exact same way. And we agree that it is most likely a bit forced in some way or another.
All I have to say is at least I am still glad to get out of this house as soon as possible.
I'm glad that it looks like we'll at least be able to be civil now, but I don't really trust her and I am not going to go out of my way to befriend her.

*sigh*
Oh yeah, it probably didn't help that I ran into my dad's ex girlfriend last week, too. I really liked her. She's probably the only one that I really, really took a liking to. And when I mentioned it to dad and said I miss her, I'm sure that made him feel a little bit "crappy".

4 comments:

CarmenSinCity said...

Wow - that was pretty cool of her to make an effort at least and it's good that you are returning the effort.

Sipwine said...

I missed something somewhere...

You have written a book? Where is it?

H said...

Carmen~Eh..yeah, I guess. lol.

sippy~Hells yeah!!! :) haha Check this page out and you'll see the book at the bottom -- you can click there and see mo' info'

http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A2STIZIHSWMOV1/ref=cm_pdp_profile_changeview?viewAs=Public&Go.x=12&Go.y=12

The Ambiguous Blob said...

oy. parents shouldn't be allowed to date anyone their kids don't like.