Friday, March 31, 2006

Weird Ways of the World

Talk about irony. I'm not sure if that's the right word or not, but let me explain. Wednesday night Todd and I went out to dinner with his parents and gram for his mom's birthday. After having a good meal, we were just sitting there having casual conversation while Todd's dad kept talking and talking to these 2 people he knew. We were pretty tired, and starting to get a little bit cranky, antsy..etc. but we couldn't leave because we rode with them.

So I say to Todd, "Hey, do you want to go into the bar area and have a cigarette?"

"Yeah," he says.

So, I lead the way and as I'm standing in the doorway I quickly glance wondering where to sit at the bar when I notice a guy in front of me to the right. I could tell right away from the back of him that it was Jeff. (Jeff is the only other guy that ever mattered, he was my world at one point in my life. It was sort of pathetic, though, we were high school sweethearts that started at the end of our senior year, and lasted for about 3 years, even though he was in college in South Carolina. That's all I'll say, as it's really complicated.) So, I realize it's Jeff, and then everything seemed to be in slow motion but I know it all went fast. I looked next to him, and I see Lauren. Lauren is Todd's ex.

Wide eyed, I jumped back behind the wall and loudly whispered, "Todd, no, no, get over here." and he says,
"What? Why?"
"Because both of our exes are in there, together.........how weird is that?!?!" I said.
"Oh my gosh! Okay, let's get outta here and go outside," Todd said.
And we did.
Todd graduated high school a year ahead of me. Jeff, Lauren, and I all graduated together.
You know DAMN well that mine and Todd's names have come up in some conversations. Maybe it was their icebreaker, "Hey, isn't it weird that we're hanging out and our exes are in a relationship together after being with us?" Oh gosh, I can only imagine.

I am a believer in everything happens for a reason, but I just don't know what the reason was for us to randomly run into the 2 of them. Therefore, it only confirms the world works in weird ways.

No comments: