Friday, November 07, 2008

Great Read: Memoir

I was at one of my book signings a few weeks ago at a library. I think a lot of fun about book signings is getting the chance to check out books that are in your visual vicinity. A lot of times, they're books that you really wouldn't think or know to check out and maybe read.


On this particular signing, I noticed a book on the library's front shelf, along with some other goodies. I noticed the title "The Night of the Gun". As I got a little closer, I read underneath the author's name, David Carr, "A reporter investigates the darkest story of his life. His own."


"Whoaaaa, that sounds kinda cool", I thought. So, I took it back to my signing table and read the first few pages. Now, I'm halfway through the book and I really enjoy it. It's a true recall (though it was through many great obstacles to 'recall' these events) of the author's tumultuous journey through a cocaine addiction, and his eventual employment at The New York Times. And when I saw it's been published recently, I got more excited. (I like to be on the 'up & up' about recent good books...and sometimes that can be hard.)


So, I thought I'd share it in case anyone else would be interested -- I found an article that's pretty cool about it.


Bright Lights, Small City: David Carr’s memoir recalls fast times in our slow lane.


And the author, David Carr, has a blog through Amazon Connect, too. Check out this post, I thought it was cool, too (especially the pic of the stuffed animal holding the book; haha!).

2 comments:

CarmenSinCity said...

I'll have to check out that book. I always like the recollection books from druggies. Good times. I can relate oh so well!

H said...

LOL!!! I think you'll like it...let me know if you do end up checking it out! :)