Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Somber Sleeping?

Over the weekend I went to Philly to visit 2 friends. It was fun, and I like that there's a lot of Irish stuff around.

But, anyways, R and I got there Thursday night and were staying until Sunday. Our first night, we slept on the floor because there was no air mattress. Friday, we ventured to Walmart to get one.

They have queen size, double layed air mattresses for $80. Of course, that's not the one we got. But still, $80 is a lot of money. I could understand if you went camping a lot or something, but sheesh.

Then, I got to thinking...mattresses are super expensive. You know, the real ones. The ones with the sheep on the commercials. They are soooooo expensive. So, what if you didn't really have enough money to throw down on a nice soft mattress. Could you go and spend $80 on the queen double layered air mattress, and use that as your bed? Do you think anyone does???

Wow.

5 comments:

Flenker said...

I used a queen-sized air mattress as a bed for about 6 months, though not one of those really nice ones. Mine was like $30, maybe less. I would not recommend using a cheap air mattress as a bed at all, unless you like back pains, and eventually always sliding to the middle.

minijonb said...

that's so strange... i just posted about my mattress shopping exprience yesterday. they are really, really expensive these days.

H said...

flenker - well noted, thank you! :) My back hurts enough as it is!

minijonb - Did you get it from the Seely place where they give you the little sheep stuffed animal if you buy a mattress? What a coy little tactic! haha

Anonymous said...

It's sad, but I'm sure lots of people do...and seriously, why does a normal mattress cost 500-1000 dollars? What possible justification is there?

The Ambiguous Blob said...

When I moved out of my (ex) husband's house, I got myself a full size air mattress with a hand pump for about 20 bucks. I slept on it for maybe 3 months and was just fine with it. I still use the mattress for guests and camping trips and FINALLY got an electric pump for it this summer. After about 5 years. Sheesh.