


Last night was volcanic. I'd heard a few weeks ago that Chicago rockers Veruca Salt was coming to town. They have just released a new album, their first in 6 years titled IV. Excited, I e-mailed a friend that loves VS, looked up the information on their performance, and that was that.
I had (sort of) forgotten about it until yesterday. My VS loving friend called me up and said, "Isn't Veruca Salt playing at the Rex tonight?" I said yes, and she says, "So are we going?"
"I'm not sure," I say, "I'm kind of still sick." (I caught the fever cold thing going around that everyone has!)
"What?" she says, "but we have to go!"
"I'll get back with you," I told her.
Later in the day, I was feeling a little better than I had been, plus it was sunny outside. It put me in the state of mind that I knew I had to go.
And I'm glad I did.
I missed the first band that was opening, The Strays, but I did get to hear the second band, Agent Sparks. They're a crazy rockin' band. The music makes you not able to refrain from dancing, but not in a pop kind of way. They're a great prequel to hear before Veruca Salt.
I noticed that earlier in the day on 105.9 The X radio station, they played Veruca Salt. Afterwards, there was no mention of their concert in town or anything! Also, while I was at the Rex Theater in the restroom, there was a poster on the wall promoting The X! I think that they should have announced VS being in town, I'm sure a lot of people did not even know. It seems they only announce the huge events, and that is sad, because I am probably missing out on hearing a lot of bands, too!
When VS came on stage, the energy began buzzing around. A larger crowd formed in front of the stage, and everyone was happy. My friends and I made our way towards the front side of the stage. Ideally, I would have met the members of Veruca Salt. Though, I did talk for a moment with their videographer. He was standing in front of me taping the show so I asked him for his card. Yet, when the show came to an end, I had to get going and video man was nowhere to be found.
The band played older hits including Seether, and Volcano Girls, (which was awesome, by the way) along with some stuff from their new album. The main Volcano Girl, Louise Post (guitar, vocals) is the only original band member left, playing alongside her bandmates Kellii, Steve, and Nicole. Though the band has gone through close to a dozen members, I must say that Nicole on bass is very impressive. Each member has their own style that they bring to the group. Louise had a glam party girl look with a pink sparkling tunic, a furry coat, and moon boots all toned down with a pair of jeans. Kellii is the drummer comfortably perched in the back with his t-shirt and jeans. Steve had an AC/DC t-shirt on with his hair moving all around in his face beading with sweat. Nicole was picture perfect in a red and white striped tee, pencil skirt, knee socks, and a side ponytail. If I had to guess, I would say that "Perfect Love" will be their most popular track from the album, probably making airwaves soon. Although, "Centipede" does have a very hard edge that's perfect for blasting in your car. Welcome back VS! We've missed you!














No comments:
Post a Comment