Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Where is the Compassion?

So, my mom moved to South Carolina last October. It was very hard for me because we are very close, and the furthest we'd ever lived from each other was 45 minutes when I was in college.

She came home Saturday afternoon and is here until Sunday morning. (YAY!) She and her fiance, Jay, are getting married on Thursday. I love Jay and all, but my mom has never gotten to have a 'real' wedding. Jay isn't into big weddings, receptions, or anything like that. So, they're going to the Justice of the Peace. And I am the only one allowed to go. Mom would not get married without her little girl there with her!!! (Aww!)

Then, we were going to have a little party for them at a friends, cookout style. Nope. Seems like everyone had their 2 cents to put in about what they thought they should do. Eventually, mom said "Fuck it! We're not gonna do any of that!" She was upset, but so completely frustrated at the hassle of it all, that she didn't even care anymore.

So, I said, "Well, we'll at least have a small dinner, get-together thing, because we have to do something." And, I told her we'd have a Girl's Night Out, like a bachelorette party sort of thing for her!!!

Hooray! So, on Friday we have dinner plans for a few of those nearest and dearest. As for Girl's Night, mom said a few weeks ago she wanted to get drunk and dance to some good live country music. Not much to ask. So, I searched around, found a festival going on in the area with a local country band playing. (I don't like country that much, but these guys are good!) Plus, there will be food booths (which mom loves!). PERFECT! So, I emailed the other women, there were only 3, and told them the plan.

One of them can't go due to having to cook for the holiday tomorrow. Another one will be late (but at least she is coming). And the other one called mom TODAY and asked if we could just go to dinner because she's been frazzled and stressed lately.

Mom said she would talk to me and let her know. I got really mad. I told mom, "No...tonight is about you. This is all you wanted to do, and I set it up. You're not giving up the last thing you want to do like you had to give up everything else. I don't care if it ends up just being you and I, we are gonna have fun!" At first she was like, "Yeah, but W is gonna be a little late anyways, and..." but I interjected. This is something different, we always go out to dinner. We're going to dinner on Friday (the woman wanting to go tonight won't be able to make dinner Friday...not my problem). I'm sorry, but these people are supposed to be my mom's friends. She hasn't been up here to visit since Thanksgiving and she's getting MARRIED! I am sick of seeing my mom disappointed and always sacrificing for others.

So, mom also said, "Yeah, J (her hubby-to-be), would be furious if I didn't get to go." He told her this morning on his way out to golf with the guys for her to have lots of fun and this was her night.

So...I am going to make sure she has a great time tonight!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, it is so sweet you are taking your mom out for a night just for her. And a bachelorette party, no less!

I get sad for my mom because she has been disappointed a lot by friends and family. It does not seem like a proper way for things to be at this stage of life for her :(

Anonymous said...

Hmm, a little off topic. I meant to comment on this before, though, since you are researching the paranormal.

One night, I was sitting at the computer checking my email and a forum I used to frequent, and I heard these weird sounds. It was very freaky. Like footsteps all around me and it felt like I was being watched, but not in a malevolent way!

I never ever feel that way, but that night I did and I posted it on the message board, too.

I was a little weirded out, but eventually I got to sleep. When I woke up, there was a message from my dad on the answering machine saying that my grandmother had passed away in the night! It also happened right at the same time all that odd stuff happened.

There was no way for me to have known about it, and there was no reason to suspect she was sick. She was perfectly fine and I had heard no news f her in months or anything about any health issues, then she passed away.

Crazy, huh?

H said...

Thanks! It ended up just being her and I that went out, but I didn't care. It was still nice.

That is really crazy about your grandmother. I have heard about things like that happening, lol, nice to know she dropped by!

Anonymous said...

That is sad that no one else went! Your poor mom.

I wish my mom had some more friends.

The Ambiguous Blob said...

That's lovely. How did it go?

The Ambiguous Blob said...

Oh! I just read your comment back - glad it went okay!

H said...

Mister Underhill - Our moms can be friends!!! :)