My dad has been with L for about 2 years. (For some reason, it really doesn't feel like it's been that long.) Anyways, L and I have always gotten along even though we really have nothing in common and nothing to ever talk about.
Lately, Dad has been talking about how he isn't sure how much longer he can be with her because of her pessimistic attitude. I always listen, and I've given L the benefit of the doubt. Until now.
Dad is building an addition onto his home that is twice the size of the original house. It's been an on-going project and last week he got some new furniture, and has been bugging me to come over.
So on Tuesday, the boyfriend had to take a part he'd picked up for my dad over to the house, so I went along, figuring I'd finally see the newest changes.
As we were leaving, Amigo (my dog) knew, and so he ran outside and wouldn't come back in the house. Fine, we took him with us.
We got out of the truck and Amigo went to run all about when suddenly Buster aka the Devil Cat, jumped out hissing at Amigo.
Buster is no ordinary cat, he's an outdoor cat that my Dad and L adopted and he is vicious. No provoking needed, he'll come after your ass.
So I say, "Oh, I didn't know the cat would be outside." Simple statement, right?
L says, "Well the cat's always outside in the summertime."
The boyfriend says, "Where's M?" (my Dad)
"He left to go get gas," L told us.
I stood there watching Amigo playfully run around while the evil cat sat under the truck watching. All of a sudden, the cat jumps out "yelling" at Amigo. I'm freaking out (just a little bit) saying, "Ohhh noo! The cat better not hurt Amigo!" and L says, "Don't worry, he won't do anything," to which I replied, "He attacked a DEER before." (Seriously, this cat is CRAZY.) And this whole time I wasn't even being a smartass but L totally misconstrued everything and got shitty with me! She was like, "Well, I don't know what to tell you Heather, I can't take him in because when he's mad like that you can't go near him."
I stood there staring at her amazed. Heather. The tone that she said my name in was painstakingly familiar. "Oh my gosh," I thought, "she is an exact replica of B!" B is my dad's old girlfriend. He left my mom for her, and was with her up until about 5 or 6 years ago. B ruined my childhood. She would lie and tell me, "Your dad said you can't do this...or that," and when I'd go ask him he wouldn't know what I was talking about. She was jealous that I was (and rightly so) more important to him, and jealous that I was a little bit spoiled. When I was in high school, my mom and I got in a big fight and I was thinking about staying at my dad's for awhile and B freaked out. She pretended to care but said, "You can't stay here."
My dad and I didn't even have a normal relationship until finally she was gone. And now, I'm standing here face to face with another B.
I had already started noticing little things about L that I didn't really like, but I was trying to ignore them. But now, I stood there surprised at her attitude and the boyfriend knew it, so he said, "You just wanna leave, then?" and I said, "Yeah," and got into the truck without saying another word.
Just like B, L was getting attitude with me when my Dad wasn't around to witness it.
So the next morning, I said to my dad, "Did L tell you we stopped by yesterday?"
Dad said, "Ohhh yeah, I heard Amigo met Buster...I'm sorry I wasn't there, I would've liked for you guys to stay a bit and for you to see the house."
To this I replied, "Yeah, well L had a bit of an attitude, so we left."
Dad says, "Oh, well she said the same thing about you. She said as soon as you got outta the truck you started bitching about the cat."
WHAT?
Skipping over some details, my parents went to lunch yesterday. (Yes, they are still friends. Yes, I am lucky.) My mom played stupid (of course she knew about the incident!) and asked Dad how everyone was, and how he and L and me and L were all getting along. Dad told her, "Well, they were fine until yesterday." So mom says, "Oh? What happened yesterday?" Dad tells her that L and I were on the defense about our animals and attitude was flying around. THEN, he told her what L had to say about me.
She said:
"I've never seen your daughter so aggressive with her attitude, ever before."
And that's not even so bad, the worst part is what's next:
"If it weren't for the fact that she's your daughter, I woulda laid into her."
EXCUSE ME?
Why my dad didn't bitch slap her at this point is beyond me. I'm actually upset that he wouldn't stick up for me, or tell her to go to hell, but I can't express that because I'm not supposed to know she said that. Parents significant others should never be allowed to talk about the other's kids like that.
My mom's boyfriend, J, would never ever say something like that, and if he did, my mom would put him right in his place.
And if someone told me, "If he wasn't your dad, I'd kick his ass," I would have a problem. So, why didn't he do anything?
Mom stuck up for me and said, "Yeah, well, I'm sure Heather was thinking the same thing, if L wasn't who she is, your girlfriend, you don't think she wouldn't have flipped out on her? She did the best thing to do in that situation and just left."
So L's demeanor is now becoming more and more like B's and I don't like it one bit. Now, I'm old enough that I don't have to deal with it either. When B was around I was a child and had no choice. But now, I do have a choice, and my choice is to not be around L. Hopefully, Dad will realize soon that she is just like B and tell her to hit the road, or else I fear that our father-daughter relationship will suffer once again.
Anyone else have some blood-boiling stories like mine?
Thursday, June 08, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)














1 comment:
I'm tempted to go bitch slap her myself.
Post a Comment