I never realized until last weekend when my friend Joni brought it up, how strict people around here are with carding. First, I went to the BP close by one night to grab cigarettes. I stood waiting for the lady to come to the counter when she interrupted my thoughts saying she could take me over at the Subway counter. So, I go over and I tell her I need cigarettes. She says, "Okaaaaay" in a snotty tone but nonetheless goes to get them. When she comes back she asks for my ID. I'm very used to being carded seeing as how when I have my hair thrown up and no makeup I look like I'm 15, so I already had the ID ready for her.
Not to mention, this lady was sort of creepy, too. I can't remember if she even had all of her teeth. And she had the nerve to be completely rude. When she saw my ID I saw her look at my birthdate, realize I am 23 (well over 18) and she said, "Oh, I'm sorry." I said, "Oh, don't worry, I'm used to it."
"Well, now I feel really bad," she said.
In my head I'm thinking, "Damn, I must've missed something. She must've been a real bitch if she feels bad and I don't even know what happened!"
I kept my mouth shut, though I did feel like saying, "Yeaaaah, I can buy alcohol, too!"
So then, my friend Joni comes into town and we make a trip to the liquor store. As soon as we get to the counter, the man says, "Do both of you have ID's?" with sort of with a snotty attitude, as well. Geez, can't anyone be nice about it? We say yeah, and hand them over. Then, he gives me a paper to sign even though Joni's paying for it. I said, "Why do I have to sign this?" and he goes into some big mumbo jumbo legal explanation and he apologized about it. Whoooaaaa, I told him, "Hey, it's okay, I was just wondering, I understand. I was just confused."
Then, Joni and I stopped at a local little store to grab cigarettes where they are a little bit cheaper. The same little old lady was working that is usually there when I walk in. I told her what we needed and she (of course) asked for our ID's. She told me I look like I'm about 15. I told her that she tells me that and cards me every single time I come in. She said it's hard to remember people and I wasn't mad. She's one of the few that are actually nice about it.
On my 21'st birthday, I went to the liquor store. I did not even get carded. How does that happen? I swear sometimes I don't get carded when you'd think it was very important that I did.
I know that these businesses are only being cautious, and that years later I'll be glad I look young. My mom already warned me that she got carded until she was 28. I don't mind much, but I dislike when people are so rude about it. Sometimes I just can't help but get this smirk on my face when they realize that not only can I buy cigarettes, but I can go to the bars, too! HA! What now?!!
Thursday, June 22, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)














No comments:
Post a Comment