Friday, April 07, 2006

Sun Spot Mind

One of my favorite movies is "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," with Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet.
Unfortunately, and very surprisingly, it did not get insanely popular like I would have expected. I don't want to ruin it for any that haven't seen it, but who hasn't at one time or another wished they could erase someone from their memory?
So, I have come to a conclusion. The title is too long. That's why no one has really bothered with this awesome movie. I can think of no other reason. I love the movie, and the only reason I probably haven't gotten it on DVD yet from my boyfriend is because he has no idea in hell what the title is.

"Honey, what's the name of that movie? Eternal spotting?"
"No, honey..."
"Sunless Mind?"
"No."
"Eternal Sunning in the Mind?"
"It's
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Todd."
"Eternal Sun of the Third Eye?
The Entity in my Eye? The All & Mighty
Sun Has Spots? How about, I'm
Eternally Going Out of my Mind?"
"Hmmph," I sigh. "Yes, honey, that's what
it's called."

Could you imagine the reporters on the red carpet for the premiere...

"Hi, yes hi Jim, so nice to see you, great suit, so
how did you like working with Kate in Eternalsunshineofthespotlessmind?"


"Excuse me, Kate? Hi, you look stunning, so what is your favorite part of Eternalsunshineofthespotlessmind?"


And, "So...(breathing heavily from talking so fast) in the movie (pause to
breathe
) Eternal Sun..ugh (takes another breath) shine of the...awww hell, you
know what the name of the movie is, why do I have to keep saying it?"

So, I thought there must be other good movies out there that didn't get much exposure due to their long title. For example, how about "Wo hu cang long" or, better known to us in the US as "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon." Whew, where'd that one come from? I also found out that the title for this movie in Hong Kong is Cantonese "Ngo foo chong lung." Would you be able to remember that title?

"Foo chun long? No go foo goo?"

The name for this movie in China in Mandarin is, "Wo hu cang long."

"Whoa, you can't hang? Whoa, you're cane's long?"

Though, the people that have watched this movie say it is very good, I have no opinion. I'm pretty sure that when anyone refers to it they probably just say, "You know, that crazy tiger and dragon movie where they fight on top of trees and fly."

So the moral of the story, the take home value, is if you're going to make a movie, keep it short and simple.

(Source)

No comments: