Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Funny Little Things

You know how as you get older, you realize that there are little things you do that are just like your parents. I mean, it is inevitable. And when you're young, your parents tell you, "One day, you'll understand." Or, "You'll see what I mean." Things like that.

Well, the weather is just frightful outside. Bitter cold. 3 degrees this morning. 3 DEGREES!!! I was on my way to work, the car wasn't fully warmed up, and I was freezing. I see kids every morning waiting for the school bus. This morning, I saw one young girl with leggings on, and a fleece as her jacket! It would've been okay had she had on those warm, fuzzy boots with her leggings, but NOOOO...you could clearly see her pale white calves and ankle begging to be covered with something! She was walking with her arms crossed, clearly cold and shivering.

I actually said out loud, "Oh my gosh...what the hell!!! Why?! Why is she wearing that! It is waaaaay too cold! She's going to get so sick!"

Immediately afterwards, I laughed. I used to hear my mom say the same thing. When I was little, I hated bundling up in the cold winter weather. But, mom would make me and I'd point out the other kids at school that weren't bundled up at all, much like this girl this morning. She'd say, "Oh my gosh!!! Why would her mother let her go out like that! She's going to catch pneumonia!"
And I would just roll my eyes, wishing I didn't have to be bundled up.

NOW, I must say...she was right. I do understand now.
Why would anyone even WANT to be outside without the proper outerwear?! It's bitter! I hate the thought of having to go out there!

3 comments:

The Ambiguous Blob said...

We all eventually turn into our mothers. It's an unavoidable law of nature.

CarmenSinCity said...

Yes, it's crazy to be turning into my parents - but I see it everyday in myself. It sucks too!

me said...

actually, i think i lean more towards my father, but it's true. growing up is brutal!!